Mobile technology and Smartphone devices are the two common terms that are often used in this busy world. Almost 90% of the world’s people have a smartphone in their hands.
Testing the software application generated for mobile devices for their functionality, usability, security, performance, etc is known as Mobile Application Testing.
Mobile Application Security Testing encompasses authentication, authorization, data security, vulnerabilities for hacking, session management, etc.
From a business perspective, it is crucial to perform security testing, but most of the time testers find it hard since mobile apps are targeted to multiple devices and platforms. So tester needs a mobile app security testing tool that ensures that the mobile app is protected.
To aid in defeating these, here are the top 10 security testing tools for your mobile applications:
1) ImmuniWeb® MobileSuite
ImmuniWeb® MobileSuite gives a unique combination of mobile app and its backend testing in a consolidated offer. It comprehensibly includes Mobile OWASP Top 10 for the mobile app and SANS Top 25 and PCI DSS 6.5.1-10 for the backend. It comes with flexible, pay-as-you-go packages provided with a zero false-positives SLA and money-back guarantee for one single false-positive!
- Mobile app and backend testing.
- Zero false-positive SLA
- One-click virtual patching via WAF.
- 24/7 Access to security analysts.
- ImmuniWeb® MobileSuite gives a free online mobile scanner for developers and SMEs, to identify privacy issues and verify application permissions
2) Zed Attack Proxy
Zed Attack Proxy (ZAP) is created in a simple and easy-to-use manner. Earlier it was used only for web applications to discover the vulnerabilities but currently, it is widely used by all the testers for mobile application security testing.
ZAP supports sending malicious messages, hence it is simpler for the testers to test the security of the mobile apps. This kind of testing is possible by posting any request or file through a malicious message and test that if a mobile app is exposed to the malicious message or not.
- World’s most common open-source security testing tool.
- ZAP is actively supported by hundreds of international volunteers.
- It is very easy to install.
- ZAP is available in 20 different languages.
- It is an international community-based tool that gives support and includes active development by international volunteers.
QARK stands for “Quick Android Review Kit” and it was produced by LinkedIn. The name itself implies that it is useful for the Android platform to recognize security loopholes in the mobile app source code and APK files. QARK is a static code analysis tool and gives information about android application-related security risks and gives a clear and concise description of issues.
- QARK is an open-source tool.
- It gives in-depth information about security vulnerabilities.
- QARK will generate a report about potential vulnerabilities and give information about what to do in order to fix them.
- It highlights the problem related to the Android version.
- QARK scans all the elements in the mobile app for misconfiguration and security threats.
4) Micro Focus
Micro Focus and HPE Software have combined together and they became the largest software company in the world. Micro Focus primely concentrated on the delivery of enterprise solutions to its clients in the areas of Security & Risk Management, DevOps, Hybrid IT, etc.
Micro Focus gives end-to-end mobile app security testing across multiple devices, platforms, networks, servers, etc. Fortify is a tool by Micro Focus that secures a mobile app before going to be installed on a mobile device.
- Fortify offers comprehensive mobile security testing using a flexible delivery model.
- Security Testing incorporates static code analysis and scheduled scans for mobile apps and provides accurate results.
- Recognize security vulnerabilities across – client, server, and network.
- Fortify provides a standard scan that helps to identify malware.
- Fortify supports multiple platforms such as Apple iOS, Google Android, Microsoft Windows, and Blackberry.
Don’t Give Scammers a Chance! Incorporate Security Testing in your Website!
5) Android Debug Bridge
Android is an operating system for mobile devices produced by Google. Android Debug Bridge (ADB) is a command-line tool that interacts with the actually connected android device or emulator to evaluate the security of mobile apps.
It is also used as a client-server tool that can be combined to multiple android devices or emulators. It covers “Client” (which sends commands), “daemon” (which runs comma.nds), and “Server” (which handles communication between the Client and the daemon).
- ADB can be combined with Google’s Android Studio IDE.
- Real-time monitoring of system events.
- It enables operating at the system level using shell commands.
- ADB interacts with devices using USB, WI-FI, Bluetooth, etc.
- ADB is incorporated in the Android SDK package itself.
Codified Security is a popular testing tool to implement mobile application security testing. It identifies and fixes the security vulnerabilities and assures that the mobile app is secure to use. It supports a programmatic approach for security testing, which assures that the mobile app security test results are scalable and reliable.
- It is an automated testing platform that recognizes security loopholes in the mobile app code.
- It is supported by machine learning and static code analysis.
- Code-level reporting helps to get the problems in the mobile app’s client-side code.
- Codified Security supports iOS, Android platforms, etc.
- It tests a mobile app without really fetching the source code. The data and source code is hosted on the Google cloud.
- Files can be uploaded in various formats such as APK, IPA, etc.
Drozer is a mobile app security testing framework produced by MWR InfoSecurity. It identifies the security vulnerabilities in the mobile apps and devices and assures that the Android devices, mobile apps, etc., are protected to use. Drozer takes lesser time to assess the android security-related issues by automating the complicated and time taking activities.
- Drozer is an open-source tool.
- Drozer supports both actual android devices and emulators for security testing.
- It only supports the Android platform.
- Performs Java-enabled code on the device itself.
- It gives solutions in all areas of cybersecurity.
- Drozer support can be extended to detect and exploit hidden weaknesses.
- It recognizes and interacts with the threat area in an android app.
8) WhiteHat Security
WhiteHat Sentinel Mobile Express is a security testing and assessment platform implemented by WhiteHat Security which presents a mobile app security solution. WhiteHat Sentinel provides a faster solution utilizing its static and dynamic technology.
- It is a cloud-based security platform.
- It supports both Android and iOS platforms.
- Sentinel platform gives detailed information and reporting to get the state of the project.
- Automated static and dynamic mobile app testing, is able to discover loopholes faster than any other tool or platform.
- Testing is conducted on the actual device by installing the mobile app, it does not use any emulators for testing.
- It gives a precise and concise description of security vulnerabilities and gives a solution.
Synopsys gives a comprehensive solution for mobile app security testing. This solution recognizes the potential risk in the mobile app and ensures that the mobile app is secure to use. There are many issues related to mobile app security, so using static and dynamic tools Synopsys has produced a customized mobile app security testing suite.
- Merge multiple tools to get the most comprehensive solution for mobile app security testing.
- Focuses on producing security defect-free software in the production environment.
- Synopsys helps to enhance quality and reduces costs.
- Reduces security vulnerabilities from the server-side applications and from APIs.
- It tests vulnerabilities using embedded software.
Using automated cloud-based service, Veracode gives services for web and mobile application security. Veracode’s Mobile Application Security Testing (MAST) solution recognizes the security loopholes in the mobile app and suggests immediate action to perform the resolution.
- It is easy to use and gives accurate security testing results.
- Security tests are conducted based on the application. Finance and healthcare applications are tested in-depth while the simple web application is tested with a simple scan.
- In-depth testing is performed utilizing complete coverage of mobile app use cases.
- Veracode Static Analysis provides a fast and precise code review result.
- Under a single platform, it gives multiple security analysis which involves static, dynamic, and mobile app behavioral analysis.
Through this blog, we learned about the top10 Security Testing Tools for mobile applications available in the market.
It is always necessary for the testers to elite security testing tools according to the nature and condition of each mobile application.
When it comes to software testing, nothing is better than having the correct people in charge. That’s why we make sure that everyone in our team is qualified and accredited on some of the industry’s best practices.
At TestUnity we have an expert team of QA Engineers. This enables us to give our clients the support they require to make sure that their software hits the market in the right circumstances. Contact us for a free consultation and see for yourself why TestUnity’s QA approach is the best choice for your software.
Testunity is a SaaS-based technology platform driven by a vast community of testers & QAs spread around the world, powered by technology & testing experts to create the dedicated testing hub. Which is capable of providing almost all kind of testing services for almost all the platforms exists in software word.