Interested in learning about the types of testing a game undergoes in quality assurance?
The importance of game testing cannot be overstated. Recent customer complaints about bug-ridden games highlighted the importance of the process and its awareness.
Revenue was lost by millions of dollars. The entire gaming industry is expected to be worth 256.97 billion dollars in 2025.
Whether you’re a gaming company, an enthusiast, or someone who tests games. You might find this blog helpful in getting a glimpse of what’s going on.
1) Combinatorial Testing:
This is a method of experimental design that is employed for commercial software testing and to develop test cases.
Applying combinatorial testing to game testing improves test execution efficiency, delivers better quality, reduces cost, and better phase containment.
- Every possible mixture of values of the parameters is covered using this test
- Recognize distinct attributes that can be varied either in data or configuration
- Systematically develop combinations for testing
- Include- Category-partition testing, Pair testing, and Catalogue based testing
- Here the parameters are chosen from game functions, elements, events, character attributes, settings, play options, customization choices, etc.
2) Clean Room Testing:
This is a software development process planned to create gaming software with a certifiable level of reliability.
- Programming starts after the formal specification
- No programmer testing method
- This technique incorporates mathematical reasoning, design refinement, and statistical reasoning during test case generation and testing
- The main aim of this method is to create minimal defective software
LOOKING FOR A DEDICATED TEAM TO ENHANCE YOUR PRODUCT’S QUALITY
3) Functionality Testing:
This literally means the method to determine bugs or errors in a game that may affect the user experience.
- Decides whether the application is working according to the specifications.
- It is a complex testing method under the type of black-box testing technique.
- Takes more time to perform as testers look for gameplay issues, graphics issues, audio-visual issues, etc.
- Validates whether installation goes smoothly, whether the app works in minimized mode, whether the app lets social networking alternatives, supports payment gateways, and many more.
4) Compatibility Testing:
This is used to find whether a game is working properly or not with respect to the hardware, graphics, and software configuration that the device is made with.
It is one of the fundamental mobile app testing services that inspect if a game title is able to run on specific devices.
- Validate whether the user interface of the app is as per the screen size of the device and provide high quality
- Assure that the text is readable for all users
- This testing assures that the product meets all essential requirements set by the developer and the end-user
- Assures real compatibility between different testing environments
- Ensures the workability and stability of the software.
5) Tree Testing:
This type of testing is almost the same as usability testing used to organize test cases. It also helps to select the proper set of tests for the given set of code changes.
- Can be also performed in advance of designing page layouts or navigation menus
- Let’s inexpensive exploration, and refinement of the menu categories, labels, etc.
- The tester doesn’t require to sketch wireframes or write content for testing. The only things required are the tree(menu), and the tasks(instructions).
- Enhances the overall understanding of the complicated features in the game
6) Regression Testing:
Regression testing is done to retest the unchanged parts of the software. Here test cases are re-checked to analyze the working of the previous functions of the app work fine and that new changes have not introduced any new errors or vulnerabilities.
- Re-run the earlier conducted tests
- Helps to compare the prior results with current results and point out mistakes if any
- A critical aspect of quality controls
- Save time by catching bugs at the starting stage itself
- Can be run as a functional test to demonstrate the overall usability of the end product
7) Ad hoc Testing:
This is quite an unplanned testing method normally used to break down the system. Testers randomly test the app without test cases or any documents.
- Do not follow any structured way of testing, it’s randomly accomplished on any part of the app
- Mainly done to discover defects using a random checking
- This is performed using the testing method Error Guessing
- Since the defects are not mapped to test cases, it is quite hard to reproduce the defects
So what should the main focus of game testing be, should it be fact or vision? Nowadays, a game development team requires to spend more time on testing approaches than any other app development technique as sometimes it becomes more complicated due to the different components.
Even with better planning, an implementation may not always work. And like any other app, users depend on charm only for some time and eventually want to have better outcomes and a better user experience.
TestUnity enhances software testing productivity by assuring thorough test coverage, intuitive workflows and interfaces, and most of all, automation at your fingertips. We provide testing services on-demand, serve with projects of any scale, and are ready to start with a few days advance notice. Choose to team up with a QA services provider like TestUnity. Our team of testing experts specializes in QA and have years of experience implementing tests with different testing software. Get in touch with a TestUnity expert today.
Testunity is a SaaS-based technology platform driven by a vast community of testers & QAs spread around the world, powered by technology & testing experts to create the dedicated testing hub. Which is capable of providing almost all kind of testing services for almost all the platforms exists in software word.