Testing is an acclaimed standard in many engineering fields. It’s not an optional thing or a distinct phase that is eliminated from the software production method, rather it is observed as a crucial aspect of the profession.
A software application development firm builds new features, keeps old ones, or patches them as they go wrong unexpectedly. Usually, it’s like you’re operating on a regular rotation with the fire department, set to move to the next fire.
If you don’t have a history in testing or a good discipline to do so, the thought of ditching something “unnecessary” is amazingly interesting when those deadlines are approaching or the manager’s rolling over you like a hawk.
The Importance of Software Testing
Testing benefits in determining if essential functionality works the way you need it to work. It helps in verifying if the application works from the user’s view. Software testing also helps in evading the “what shouldn’t have happened” classic developer cliché when an apparently unrelated part of the software is altered.
Testing is a positive both for developers and for the company when correctly practiced.
It is important to establish goals for employees and company owners and help ensure that all stakeholders strive towards the same vision of accomplishment. Setting intentions for returns and dealing with them afterward is just as crucial.
Some companies choose to implement automation testing in-house, while others prefer to select a dedicated automation testing company to fill in this significant role.
Advantages of Mobile App Testing
1. Ensured Proper Functioning
One of the quality assurance process’s principal tasks is to assure that a solution is functioning seamlessly. To be accurate, QA specialists verify whether users can download a program to several devices successfully and whether it communicates with the supporting infrastructure as planned. As a rule, they use real devices (not simulators) to test an app, which assures to bring a fully functioning product to market.
2. Ensured UI/UX Usability
Testing enables specialists to put themselves in end-users shoes and assess the look-and-feel of a solution. They begin using an application to know whether its navigation is consistent and intuitive and whether it is ready to use the app in different situations. As a result, testers in users’ roles know the emotions an app triggers and can predict if customers will continue using it or delete it permanently.
3. Increased Customer Loyalty
When proper functioning and usability are assured, consumers are likely to be satisfied. So, the solution’s extensive analytics enables you to make a good reputation in the industry and reach a bigger audience.
4. Higher Revenues
Though the testing process needs initial investments, it assists avoid fixing issues and redeveloping a product at the final stage, which saves time, decreases the total cost, and promotes a fast time-to-market. Collaborating with QA service providers is a wise decision that encourages higher revenues in the future.
Factors to Consider In Testing Mobile Apps
If we have already established that testing is a must for mobile app development, let’s talk about the main points to consider while building a testing strategy.
1. Selection of Devices
First of all, you should discover the devices your target audience prefers to practice and get prepared to test your app on all of them (an ideal scenario).
Try to select devices with various screen resolutions, memory size, operating systems, battery capacity, connectivity types, etc.
2. Simulators and Emulators vs. Physical Devices
There are three technical options to verify your software:
- On real devices. You require to take an actual smartphone or a tablet, set up an app, and complete all the necessary activities. In this instance, the product is tested in real-life situations(e.g., discharging battery or incoming interruptions such as calls and messages), presenting the most accurate results. The main disadvantage of this option is that you require additional expenses to manage many devices that will be used for testing.
- On emulators. An emulator is a copy of a device. It does the same things and shows the same consequences as the original object. The matter is that you can run your soft on an emulator, but cannot alter it.
- On simulators. A simulator is not an exact replica of a device. It doesn’t replicate the hardware (which is a disadvantage), but it provides for setting up a similar environment. Simulators don’t give as accurate results as these on real devices, but they do provide you the ability to immediately make modifications and test the program again till you get the required outcome. This is the most cost-effective option.
3. Cloud Testing
If you want to avoid the difficulties of real devices and simulators, you may consider cloud-based testing technologies. Such tools are extremely available, scalable, and cost-effective. They provide you the ability to run, update and maintain solutions on multiple networks and systems.
The weak spots of cloud technologies may be security, inadequate control, and the dependence on the internet connection.
You can build your quality control strategy by merging different tools and strategies and using them at various development stages. Here are some general tips:
- Simulators are good at the early stages.
- It is preferable to employ real devices at the final stage.
- Automation is better for regression and load testing.
- Manual tools are more suitable for usability testing.
Due to the nature of mobile apps, testing is a complicated but vital stage of development that will have a large impact on the outcome of the project. At TestUnity, we develop detailed plans for thorough and effective crowd testing to assure our clients’ mobile apps are well-equipped for launch. Connect with TestUnity experts to build a bug-free and user-friendly mobile app.
Testunity is a SaaS-based technology platform driven by a vast community of testers & QAs spread around the world, powered by technology & testing experts to create the dedicated testing hub. Which is capable of providing almost all kind of testing services for almost all the platforms exists in software word.