While getting around within the physical and virtual world for accessing information, many folks, very often take Accessibility without any consideration. Accessibility implies that each person, regardless of their condition, should be ready to gain and have complete access to all or any the amenities that life has got to offer (e.g. internet/web, transport system, roads, paths, entry points, exit points, etc.).
Ultimately, we would like ‘differently-abled’ people to perceive, understand, navigate, interact and even contribute to the online world. Today’s web-accessible applications are a real blessing for people that have temporary or conditional disabilities like aging, broken limb, color-blindness, etc.
In this current Digital Transformation era, technology is changing rapidly bringing about new innovations and enhancements that are aimed toward providing comfort and improve our lives. At an equivalent time, the technology changes should provide a platform for the differently-abled, helping them embrace it seamlessly and with more ease.
To ensure an equivalent, federal governments across the planet have developed various standards (WCAG, Section 508, ADA, etc.) mandating business entities to suits their defined ‘Accessibility’ guidelines and to form it inclusive for each citizen. Accessible applications for differently-abled aren’t a choice anymore, it’s their right.
For it to happen, the Accessibility Testing has got to be harnessed and finetuned at a way early stage within the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), keeping the differently-abled people within the center stage. But first, let’s understand what Accessibility Testing is consistent with W3C Wiki. Web Accessibility Testing may be a subset of usability testing where the users into account have disabilities that affect how they use the online. the top goal, in both usability and accessibility, is to get how easily people can use an internet site and feed that information back to improving future designs and implementations.
Accelerated Approach to Accessibility Testing
Accessibility Testing is conducted manually and by using automated tools, which helps check for the standards adherence and rule compliance. As mentioned earlier, there are many accessibility standards and amongst them, the online Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) are the foremost accepted across the planet. it’s published by Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) and World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). The accessibility methodology is predicated on four founding principles provided by W3C – Perceivable, Operable, Understandable, and Robust (POUR).
Four Principles provided by W3C for Accessibility Testing
- All non-text content should display alternative text
- Time-based media should be given alternatives
- Content should be created having a potency to display in various ways
- Identify easier ways for users to observe and hear content; like separating the foreground from the background
- Users should be ready to access all functionality from the keyboard
- For content with streams/automated slideshow; should give enough time to read and use content
- Avoid designing content that’s known to cause seizures
- Provide ways to assist users easily navigate and find the content
- Design and make text content that’s readable and understandable
- Create sites that appear and operate in a predictable way
- Guide users to avoid and proper mistakes
- Maximize the compatibility and compliance with current and future users
- Use Assistive technologies to increase/maximize the compliance
Tools & Methods
At TestUnity, we validate applications against five pivots as described below –
- Keyboard Navigation: Can the appliance be navigated only with the keyboard? For dexterity disabilities.
- On-Screen Readers: is that the described content ‘correct’ for the visually impaired, so as for it to be read and understood better?
- Color Contrast & High Contrast: is that the application content clear and visual for the Color-blind/Color impaired individuals?
- Zoom: just in case of the content being zoomed to a high level, is it visible to the visually impaired individuals for them to read, aside from ensuring that the content isn’t lost?
- Focus: is that the ‘right’ element within the focus area and is there any difference when the main target is shifted/moved? this is often utilized in conjunction with keyboard navigation.
Below are a number of the fast accessibility checks which may be wont to quickly validate the core accessibility needs of the appliance.
- Images – Alternative Text, CSS, and Embedded Text
- Color – Color Contrast Ratio and Grayscale
- Keyboard – Focus, Tab, and Navigation Order
- Form – Labels
- Screen Reader – Content availability for the readers
- Multimedia – Captions, Text Transcripts, and Audio Descriptions
Through Accessibility Testing, we will provide differently-abled with great learning opportunities. But most significantly, we will put them in a position where they will make their contributions online. it’s clear that having a right and accelerated ‘Web Accessibility Testing Strategy’ can help make web applications more compliant and friendly for the differently-abled.
TestUnity has helped large enterprises in defining comprehensive solutions for Accessibility Testing. We adhere and follow the W3C’s WCAG 2.0 and WCAG 2.1 standards and regulations. we’ve also helped many purchasers with assistive technologies transforming the online experience. At TestUnity, we’ve designed detailed accessibility evaluation reports, describing all the A11y violations and proposals, which helps resolve issues and fine-tune the merchandise, providing a far better user experience. prefer to team with a QA services provider like TestUnity. Our team of testing experts focuses on QA and have years of experience implementing tests with different testing software.
Testunity is a SaaS-based technology platform driven by a vast community of testers & QAs spread around the world, powered by technology & testing experts to create the dedicated testing hub. Which is capable of providing almost all kind of testing services for almost all the platforms exists in software word.