Running regression testing on the cloud for a software application can accumulate a slew of advantages to companies within the quite easy accessibility, virtualization, continuous testing, greater security, performance, and integration.
According to Forrester, “Fast and straightforward accessibility, elastic scalability, and pay-per-use pricing models do cloud computing engaging for application development and delivery (AD&D) professionals looking to create a cloud testing approach to deliver applications better and faster. Many firms can already get quality at speed a reality by leveraging cloud — although it’s tough to acknowledge which cloud model gives the foremost benefits and for what sorts of testing.”
Today’s software applications are complicated, dynamic, and multidimensional, and run on various devices that leverage various operating systems, browsers, and networks.
The challenge for companies is to develop and deploy such applications within the least time without jeopardizing the standard.
Besides, there could also be situations when an application after deployment requires to be upgraded with a replacement characteristic or functionality supported by consumer feedback or market demand.
This begins an opportunity for the new feature or functionality to affect the prevailing ones adversely.
So, rather than the upgrade enhancing the standard of the appliance and meeting the market demand, it’s going to find yourself destroying the merchandise altogether.
To avoid such a situation, enterprises require to shift-left the implementation of end–to–end regression testing within the development chain.
The critical need for cloud-based regression testing
In the regular regression testing, changes done to the software applications are reviewed to seek out out if they’re influencing the prevailing features or/and functionalities adversely.
This can become a critical necessity within the Agile-DevOps scheme of things where development and testing work together.
Importantly, every software application requires to undergo periodic upgrades to stay in sync with the omnichannel operating environment including devices, operating systems, or browsers, among others.
This is where software regression testing becomes a daily feature within the development lifecycle assuring the updated application is free from glitches and works needless to say.
However, performing such changes and maintaining with the actual iterative upgrades are often cumbersome, time, and cost-intensive.
So, the way to make regression testing simpler, cost-effective, and timely?
The answer lies in performing cloud-based testing to derive superior user experience and optimal performance of the software.
Regression testing supported by the cloud enables testers to access a pool of real devices and live networks globally.
Since the updated software applications try at creating capabilities and increasing the scope of performance, they require to be tested quickly over device platforms.
With end–to–end regression testing being operated on the cloud, the applications are likely to realize optimal performances and excellent user experiences regardless of the kinds of devices utilized.
Benefits of cloud-based regression testing
Testing on the cloud is often a feasible solution for companies because of the supply of an outsized pool of devices.
The slew of advantages acquired from running cloud-based regression testing are as follows:
- Greater access: Today, the event of software appears to be a distributed process where teams are in several geographic locations divided by time zones. it’s only by utilizing a cloud-based testing platform that these teams can collaborate seamlessly at the time and place of their preference. The teams can access the test atmosphere present during a central repository and conduct regression testing in real-time. they will interact with one another, share mission-critical data, also as track their efforts and outcomes.
- Virtualization: Cloud allows device platforms to be virtualized in order that the applications are often tested with higher performance and adaptability. With applications becoming more complicated and requiring comprehensive testing across an omnichannel environment, cloud-based virtualization supports testers to share resources from a central repository and reduces capital costs.
- Continuous testing: With the Agile-DevOps model of software development hip to perform faster time–to–market and provides a superior user experience, continuous testing of applications at each stage may be a must. A cloud-based central repository is often reached by various testers who cover time zones to collaborate in testing the appliance. As QA regression testing requires the testing of all features and functionalities of an application, a cloud-based solution working with automated regression testing can complete the activity quickly, accurately, and efficiently. This round-the-clock testing of the latest and existing features is often completed expeditiously in order that the applications can enter production.
- Security: Assuring the safety of an application has become one of the highest priorities for companies given the growing menace of cybercrime. To buttress the argument with statistics, global cybersecurity spending is foretold to exceed USD 1 trillion by 2021. So, a cloud-based DevSecOps model of testing can assure the appliance is tested for security-related vulnerabilities once a characteristic or functionality is added or upgraded.
- Performance: A cloud-based system can affect virtual users at lower costs and scale, which may then be leveraged to manage regression testing services. With the present infrastructure in a situation, a cloud-based server can build/simulate many virtual users in no time. the appliance below testing can then be ‘used’ by such virtual users over device platforms to acknowledge any hidden issues or glitches. In such a scenario, the appliance just requires to be scheduled for testing wherein the resources are selected automatically. Besides, the straightforward availability of performance and cargo testing tools can make the tactic cost-efficient. Since there’s a real-time formation of reports, the testing team can collude with developers for quick remediation of issues.
- Continuous integration: Cloud-based testing allows the mixing of the latest builds into the appliance quickly. It enables the execution of non-stop parallel testing thereby expanding the test situations significantly. Also, regression testing on the cloud gives a preconfigured environment that reduces defects that are caused by unstable environments. It enables easy testing of applications across environments and maximizes the test coverage area in minimum time.
End-to-end regression testing is a crucial requirement for applications undergoing upgrades. this will be a sophisticated, time-consuming, and dear method in an in-house test environment.
However, cloud-based testing solutions including tools and configured environments can promote the conduct of parallel round-the-clock testing over devices, virtualized users, and geographies.
According to Gartner, “By 2021, a distributed cloud would help organizations physically put all services closely together, thereby addressing low-latency challenges, reducing the expense of storage and assuring that data standard are according to the laws during a given countryside .”
This decreases costs, reduces operational overheads, improves efficiency, and accelerates the time to plug for the appliance. Cloud–based regression testing is required to assess the general security of your operating systems and applications operating on the cloud.
Assuring ongoing security within the cloud needs not only equipping your cloud instances with defensive security controls but also constantly evaluating their ability to face up to the newest data breach threats.
TestUnity’s systematic approach to Cloud-based Regression Testing assures minimum disruption while keeping costs below control. Our Regression Testing suite ensures that the new features or enhancements to the appliance don’t cause any unintended influence to the prevailing quality of the applications. Our test teams completely understand and perform impact analysis of the modifications that are done to the test environment and therefore the applications and assure that the outcomes of those improvements are as per the first plan.
Need help? Connect with our Cloud testing experts. They’re going to assist in giving an answer to your business challenges and show the way to efficiently implement cloud-based regression testing for all of your applications stored within the cloud environment.
Testunity is a SaaS-based technology platform driven by a vast community of testers & QAs spread around the world, powered by technology & testing experts to create the dedicated testing hub. Which is capable of providing almost all kind of testing services for almost all the platforms exists in software word.