It is very crucial to have a robust cybersecurity system in an association or else their security is at risk. Data breaches, cyber-attacks, and online threats have become a significant worry for most companies and hence companies are no spending efforts and money on cybersecurity posture assessment.
Security Posture Assessment is performed to ensure that cybersecurity is strong in an organization. To enhance the maturity level of the cybersecurity level, many steps must be undertaken which are hence a section of posture assessment.
However, some cybersecurity practices, as well as vendors, are available which makes it tough for an organization to pick one. You should know the well-planned cybersecurity plan that is going to get you ROI so that your defense system can be robust that it becomes difficult for an intruder to attack your system.
What is the Security Posture Assessment?
Security posture assessment applies to the security status of a system or network or company.
It is calculated based on the resources such as people, software and hardware capabilities, and the change mechanism which comes below the picture whenever some new virus attacks.
It displays the security health of your product or system. There are several levels of cybersecurity levels that indirectly indicate posture assessment.
- Organizations that have low cybersecurity levels have very low cybersecurity levels. They are prone to infringements and intrusions and they should be implemented with a new posture assessment because then the underlying system is not capable to manage cyber-attacks.
- Organizations that have a medium cyber-security level had a pretty average cyber-security level. They have necessary cyber-security practices embedded in their system and are prone to their significant assets. There is always room for growth for them.
- Organizations having high cyber-security levels are having very strong posture assessments and are likely to minor and major cyber threats.
Just like organizations conduct penetration tests to ensure the vulnerabilities of a product posture assessment is done to assure the cyber-security level of an organization.
It will thus assure maximizing the ROI of the organization. Upon assessment and its analysis, one can form a roadmap to implement cyber-security practices and have a properly formulated posture change strategy in place.
Why the Posture Assessment is done?
By posture assessment, one can recognize the importance of the data. You should know if somebody tweaks into their data and the vulnerabilities it can generate. It lets you analyze different kinds of cyber threats and let you manage them with a pre-defined strategy.
It lets you estimate the already existing cyber-security strategy and practices. If they are obsolete or are not appropriate in place, there is an essential need for a new strategy. This will robust your cyber defense system.
Don’t Give Scammers a Chance! Incorporate Security Testing in your Website!
Strategy for improving posture assessment
Now, you know how important posture assessment is for an organization. For changing the posture, you should have a tool in place that can do the following:
- Recognizes your inventory in the organization.
- It should examine the IT assets against all the major threats like phishing, outdated software, unpatched software, viruses, SQL injection, and others.
- It should then build analytics to draw references from. You should have a plan in place where you to improvise.
- These vulnerabilities should have a significant level which should be determined on the level of vulnerability it performs for the system. Action items should be thee so that you can perform accordingly.
- After posture assessment, it should continually review for more vulnerabilities that can attack the system.
- Build a specific team that will maintain a security posture assessment regularly. Maintenance will be easy if a specific team will be looking at it.
- Encourage a strong security culture with the employees can help in avoiding these situations to a great extent. If employees are educated and are aware, they will make sure that they don’t click on unwanted links and phishing attacks would be minimized.
Planning a strategy for robust posture assessment
You should know how to have an efficient strategy for making your system more robust and cyber-attack defensive.
Security posture assessment professionals have a very hard task on their shoulders. They must build the priorities of attacks that require to be dealt with first.
You should always know how to handle and mistake in case any cyber-security risk comes into your company. Proper governance and having proper cyber-security plans in the organization will make sure that how planning a strategy is necessary.
It is always important to recognize sensitive information because safeguarding them at any cost should be a component of our procedure. IT teams should regularly conduct vulnerability scanning, phishing simulations, and penetration testing to decrease security thefts and increase the posture assessment level.
There are several frameworks for enhancing posture assessment. OCTAVE is one of the frameworks which is broadly used.
It is an operational critical threat, asset, and vulnerability evaluation that is beneficial for a company that knows the major gaps and understands how to fill these.
Another framework is FAIR which implies Factor analysis of information risk. Last is the NIST RMF framework which should be executed in case you avoid the first two frameworks due to compatibility issues. Risk assessment is a necessary step in all three frameworks and continuous assessments are a core component of the cyber-security level analysis.
Phases involved in Security posture assessment
- Planning Phase: Verifying the scope of the assessment, resource identification, stakeholders identification, producing a work plan, etc. happens in this phase
- Documentation review: All the documents that are needed to commence testing will be reviewed in this phase.
- Assessment: Internet exposure, findings, analysis, on-site audit, and -defining cyber-security posture will be taken over in this phase
- Reporting: All the deliverables will be noted in the report
When does your company need a cybersecurity posture assessment?
- If you wish to recognize the current status of the cybersecurity
- For performing correct and mandatory cybersecurity measures
- If you wish to have a comprehensive analysis to check on the vulnerabilities
- Your organization defensive system against cyber attacks is not up to the mark
- if you wish to get ROI on your cybersecurity standards
- If there is any kind of integration occurring
Tips to improve your cyber-security posture
- Have a real-time updatable record of the IT assets of your company
- Continuous monitoring of IT assets and present the system to planned cyber and see how the defensive mechanism is
- Analyze the decision and do a proper risk assessment and note the vulnerability points
- Once fixed start from the first periodically
So, we discovered how the organization used to ignore these threats, and that leads to a severe loss. To safeguard your data and support cybersecurity has a robust and high-level cybersecurity posture assessment is in place. This is going to work as a barrier for your product, assets, and companies. Start making your plan today and make your organization risk-free.
Need to security posture assessment in your organization? Think no more! TestUnity provides the testing services on-demand, serves with projects of any scale, and is ready to start with a few days’ advance notice. Choose to team up with a QA services provider like TestUnity. Our team of testing experts specializes in QA and has years of experience implementing tests with different testing software. Get in touch with a TestUnity expert today.
Testunity is a SaaS-based technology platform driven by a vast community of testers & QAs spread around the world, powered by technology & testing experts to create the dedicated testing hub. Which is capable of providing almost all kind of testing services for almost all the platforms exists in software word.