Social media apps have actually become the lifeline of the modern generation.
Social media apps are now a podium:
- to connect with people,
- for entertainment purposes,
- do business,
- obtain or offer jobs,
- get some knowledge and whatnot.
Apart from its advantages, social media apps could also be very harmful. These apps could lead to high-security violations if they are not properly certified for their security.
Apart from this inappropriate functioning of these apps in any aspect could influence the business of thousands of people depending upon these apps for their business requirements.
Hence Proper Testing of Social Media Application is very significant.
Why is it important to Test Social Media?
According to Statista – “Number of worldwide users is assumed to touch some 3.02 billion monthly existing social media users by 2021.”
Such a large podium definitely requires to be secure and present a seamless experience to all its users. Hence it is very significant to test these applications for their valuable and effective work.
Types of Social Media Testing
Social media is a package of various functionalities. Testing social media apps needs you to have vast domain expertise, large experience, and the right skill set for it. Testing of Social media applications covers:
- Enterprise Software Testing: Social media applications serve a huge number of people and are very strong to test and need a high level of security testing. Hence these applications need any high-end enterprise testing solutions to be tested.
- Web 2.0 testing: Being a web 2.0 based application, testing of social media applications needs the early engagement of testers. These applications are also susceptible to various modifications and hence automatization of the test cases for such applications is favored. Web-testing including Security Testing, compatibility, functional, Performance Testing, and database testing requires to be done for social media apps.
LOOKING FOR A DEDICATED TEAM TO ENHANCE YOUR PRODUCT’S QUALITY
- SaaS Testing: SaaS is introduced as a software as a service model. Social media services support the Saas model and are requires to be approved for proper functioning employing SaaS testing.
- Web Analytics Testing: Social media apps deal with a huge amount of data, Web analytics testing helps in accumulating website data and then analyzing and reporting based on your user’s targets.
- User Acceptance Testing: This involves testing social media apps for their attractiveness and user-friendly environment.
- Content Management testing: Content management testing verify that the content is suitable for the audience. Social media applications like Facebook are a sea of content, new content is posted every now and then, and therefore, content management testing becomes a continuous task and is very crucial to avoid any content-related issues.
- SEO testing: SEO is the requirement for the hour to promote your websites/applications online. Hence SEO testing becomes very significant to ensure proper growth and display of your social media application.
- Online Advertisement application testing: Social media applications these days support businesses using online advertisements. Verifying the proper functioning of online advertisements is very significant.
Social Media Application Testing Life Cycle
To assure that your social media testing goes well, develop a proper testing methodology. Here are the steps you can follow to assure precise testing of your social media apps.
1. Analyze Test Requirements:
The first and foremost step is to analyze test specifications. Define the scope of the testing and the test objectives.
Make a list of what you require to test, how much time, and how many resources you will need for testing.
2. Test Plan Creation:
Test plan creation is the next step towards managing successful social media application testing.
Test planning is dependent on what does tester plans to accomplish from the testing.
Hence they should have a clear knowledge of what they are supposed to test like are they thought to carry out only front-end testing or back-end testing or both.
3. Allocation of Resources for Testing:
As per your report in the test requirement phase, allocate supplies for the testing like the human resources, designate the time for testing, etc.
Before beginning testing your social media mobile app, you should shortlist the testing methods -Functional and Non-functional.
Also make a record of a network, operating system, and device platforms for functional testing.
For Non-Functional Testing, methods pick from several testing techniques like Performance Testing, Usability Testing, Adaptability Testing, and Security Testing.
4. Test Case Document:
This is the first step towards actual testing.
Design test cases based on the test plan designed by you in the initial phases of testing.
Design a test case document with all the characteristics and functionalities of your social media app.
The test cases should cover all the functional test cases along with several other test cases for adaptability testing, usability testing, and other test cases like testing the speed of the app, battery usage, memory usage, data requirements.
5. Describing the alliance of Manual Testing and Automation Testing:
Testing of social media apps incorporates an amalgamation of both manual and automatic testing. Plan a separate report for manual testing test cases and automatic testing test scripts.
6. Execution of the Test Case:
The actual testing takes place here, where you will really perform the test cases generated in the previous step. You can perform test cases and scripts on physical devices or using testing tools, or in the cloud.
7. Identifying and Removing the Bugs:
While performing the test cases, all the defects that are discovered have to be reported to the development team, for eliminating them.
Document all the defects that you have found. This documentation can help you as a source for future testing.
9. Test Completion:
After the bug’s extraction, the application has to be retested to verify if the defects are properly eliminated and to check that the change in code has not altered the present functionalities.
Though there is nothing like test completion, as the application may need to be repeatedly tested whenever there is any code change.
But if in any round of testing, the code is recognized as bug-free, the testing is regarded to be concluded.
Tips for Testing Social Media Applications
Here are a few tips to test your social media application efficiently:
- Testers should be experienced in the design and implementation of Web 2.0 testing
- Conduct all-inclusive website testing.
- Autonomous validation is essential for social media apps.
Social media applications are observing an unexpected hike. People are getting dependent on them for their day-to-day queries and exercises.
Such a broad platform needs to be tested comprehensively so that they maintain no threats to their users either at a personal or professional level.
Need to test your social media application? Think no more! TestUnity provides the testing services on-demand, serves with projects of any scale, and is ready to start with a few days’ advance notice. Choose to team up with a QA services provider like TestUnity. Our team of testing experts specializes in QA and has years of experience implementing tests with different testing software. Get in touch with a TestUnity expert today.
Testunity is a SaaS-based technology platform driven by a vast community of testers & QAs spread around the world, powered by technology & testing experts to create the dedicated testing hub. Which is capable of providing almost all kind of testing services for almost all the platforms exists in software word.